Sunday, April 19, 2009

Burying the Form


Thanks to Anu for posting this image from Mulloway Studio. I saw the exhibition of Australia's entry at the Venice Biennale, and this was definitely one of the most impressive models. It got me thinking about my own design, and how I was planning to 'carve' my spaces out of a large stone block, and place this in the landscape. The image made me think of taking this idea further, and embedding the scheme within a cliff, carving the spaces out from the rock.

'An architecture born out of sightless light and sound' - Tadao Ando

I then remembered this unbuilt (unfortunately) scheme by Tadao Ando for a House in Malibu. He also carves out of the rock, using it to form spaces, vistas, windows, views. P.S Sorry about the poor quality images, they are scanned from my book, and I didn't want to damage the pages.

No comments: